Understanding how to choose a personal essay topic can be quite challenging due to the broad and unspecified nature it can often present. Depending on the area you are studying, there could be a range of experiences you have been involved in that could present a perfect opportunity to write about. The essay topics below provide an exploration of different experiences or topics you may have personal experience with that can help you to form your essay.
Health care can provide a range of experiences, good and bad, that you can use to your benefit. In many cases, when writing personally in health care, this presents an opportunity to express your feelings, emotions and perspectives on your experience which may allow you to develop a greater sense and understanding from the experience. Below are some ideas that relate to health care:
- The moment where you demonstrated bravery on placement.
- The first moment you felt you were proficient in your role.
- Your first failure and what you learnt from the experience.
- The experience of losing your first patient.
- How you feel the culture surrounding your team impacts performance.
- What do you believe are shortfalls from your discipline.
- What is the proudest moment in your role to date.
- Discuss your favourite nursing practice setting and the benefits compared to other settings.
- What is the most peculiar element of your role.
- How does your role on placement differ from a qualified healthcare professional?
Education can be deemed to be as rewarding as it is demanding. It can present may new perspectives on the challenges, benefits and difficulties associated with roles including teaching, administration and safeguarding. These experiences can often present many opportunities for personal growth and understanding of your role. Here are some possible essay topics that might interest you:
- The challenges of being a trainee teacher in the modern classroom.
- The successes and failures of teaching challenging children.
- Do PRU students receive appropriate support for academic success?
- How have you demonstrated competency in supporting students with additional needs?
- Is teaching what you expected? Or are there differences from perception and reality?
- What are the biggest issues in education currently?
- What does education mean to you?
- What impacted your decision to choose a career in education?
- Do you believe you are having an impact on your students?
- Do you believe that the government are impacting the quality and retention of teachers?
Especially in a COVID world, many are planning and considering their next travel destination whether it be for business, pleasure or soul seeking. Here are some potential essay topics you may wish to explore relating to travel:
- The impact of travelling on psychological health and wellbeing.
- What do you need to know when planning your dream destination trip?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
- Does buying from local merchants support their livelihoods?
- What are the benefits of staycations?
- Is there more adventure abroad or in your home country?
- Is space tourism going to be a modern form of travelling in 100 years time?
- Describe your greatest adventure abroad.
- Travelling dilemmas: what should you consider when planning an adventure?
- Are people who travel more deemed to be more complete compared to those who choose to not travel?