Many students find it hard to write a cause-and-effect essay, simply because they do not know where to get the topic from, especially when they are given the freedom to choose the topic they want.
However, instead of being overwhelmed by this freedom of choice, try to see it as a great opportunity! After all, if you’re given the freedom to choose your own topic, you can select a topic that you’re truly interested in learning more about.
So, ask yourself, what am I passionate about? It’s best to choose a topic that’s been written about in the past, else you’ll struggle to find enough resources to write your essay. If you’re looking for some inspiration, the sections below present different topics which can be used for cause-and-effect essays.
- General Cause-and-Effect Essay Topics
- Social and Culture Cause-and-Effect Essay Topics
- History Cause-and-Effect Essay Topics
- Technology Cause-and-Effect Essay Topics
- Medical Cause-and-Effect Essay Topics
General Cause-and-Effect Essay Topics
Being able to identify a relevant topic which can showcase your knowledge and interest of the subject as well as the passion you feel for the cause can make the topic even more interesting. Some general cause and effect essay topics:
- What are the causes of domestic abuse and explain the effects this has on children?
- What are the emotional effects of domestic abuse?
- What are the causes of youth engagement in drug abuse and the effect that it has on their life?
- What are the causes and effects of global industrialisation?
- What are the cause and effects of racism on modern society?
- What are the cause and effects of climate change on animals?
- Can social media cause extremism?
- Examine the cause and effect of the growth of sport among young people.
Social and Culture Cause-and-Effect Essay Topics
Modern society and culture present numerous issues and challenges. Modern society is extremely diverse due to the nature of globalisation and there are also opportunities that can be identified. It is important that if you choose a cause-and-effect topic in this section, that there is an interest in the issue you wish to discuss. If you are passionate and knowledgeable about a topic concerned with society and culture, then your essay can be extremely relevant. Find some interesting topics below:
- What are the causes of poor children becoming victims of bullying and what effects can be identified?
- What are the cause and effects of cheating in examinations?
- What are the causes and effects of conflict within families?
- What are the causes of global temperature increase and how can this affect how people behave?
- What are the cause and effect of drug misuse or alcoholism in a family?
- What are the causes of global warming and how does this affect the world?
- What are the primary causes of Brexit and what are the effects of this in the UK?
- What are the causes and effects of divorce on minors?
- Examine the cause and effect of stress on friendships.
- Investigate the cause and effect of online dating.
History Cause-and-Effect Essay Topics
History is a particularly interesting topic for a cause-and-effect essay. Indeed, often a cause-and-effect essay requires us to look back in time so that we can extract ‘lessons’ for our present and future. Below is a list of history topics:
- Explain the cause and effects of World War II.
- What were the cause and effect of the American Civil War on American society?
- Explain the cause and effects of the Civil Rights Movement in America.
- Discuss the main cause of the Arab Spring and what effects has this had?
- What was the cause and effect of the slave trade in Europe?
- What has been the cause and effect of the industrial revolution on agriculture?
- What was the cause and effect of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
- What are the cause and effects of migration of citizens to the UK?
Technology Cause-and-Effect Essay Topics
Technology is important to everyone and it is necessary to understand how technology has been developed and why. Technology is a part of everyday life and while there are pros to technology there is also the identification of the abuse of technology. Some examples can be seen below:
- Examine the cause and effect of technology on family time.
- What is the cause and effect of a child playing a game such as ‘Fortnite’?
- Investigate the cause and effect of the popularity of online shopping.
- Discuss the cause and effect of mobile technology on business.
- What cause and effects can be identified in the overuse of the internet by children?
- What are the cause and effects of children having mobile phones?
- Investigate the cause and effects of technology on face-to-face social interaction.
- What are the cause and effects of technology on personal relationships?
- Investigate the cause and effect that social media has on the socialisation process.
- Examine the cause and effect of celebrity on the adolescent.
Medical Cause-and-Effect Essay Topics
Medicine is ever-evolving due to technology and knowledge. Exploring cause and effects topics on medical issues can relate to physical, social, emotional, and psychological. Some of these topics can be extremely engaging and emotional for the writer. Here are some example essays.
- Discuss the cause and effect of anxiety in the workplace.
- Discuss the cause and effect of distrust in vaccines.
- Investigate the cause and effect of stress on people’s health.
- What is the cause and effect of a poor diet on health?
- What is the cause and effect of indigestion?
- Examine the effect that physical activities cause to mental health.
- Identify the cause and effect of abusing medicines.
- Examine the cause and effect of low immunity.
- What are the cause and effects of diabetes?
- Investigate the cause and effect of climate change on infectious medical diseases.
- Explore the cause and effect that insomnia has on mental health.