Medicine and Nursing Dissertation Topics
A dissertation or a thesis is a well-documented discourse on specific research topics produced as the written form of an individual’s research, and is especially a part of higher academic qualifications. The essential feature of a dissertation is its precision and focus and the subject matter is detailed, highlighting specific objectives and aims of research. Choosing an appropriate dissertation topic is a very important aspect of research and the first step towards a relevant, detailed and original study. Unlike a book, which is rather broad in its scope, a dissertation is rather narrow as it is about specialised knowledge in a particular area of study. To help prepare your medicine and nursing dissertation topics this article suggests topics for you to base your research on, in the areas of healthcare, clinical management, public health, midwifery, health organisations, environmental health, occupational health and safety and mental health.
Clinical management Dissertation Topics
Clinical management involves not just application of the nursing interventions but managing all aspects of nursing and healthcare within the clinical setting. Some topics for your nursing dissertation could include:
- Issues and risks in the clinical management of patients with prostate cancer.
- New directions in management of patients in the adult intensive care units.
- Perceived management issues in the care of elderly patients.
- Optimal management strategy for patient with post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Management and treatment outcomes of acute ischemic stroke.
- Clinical management and psychosocial treatment of drug dependence in prison settings.
- Patients’ self-assessments and decision making: Management approaches in surgical cases.
- Strategies in management and care of patients with chronic and acute pain.
- Possible interventions in the clinical management and control of infectious diseases.
- Clinical management of inpatients with cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure.
Public health Dissertation Topics
Public health highlights all those issues that affect the health of the people and focus more on large scale health problems rather than individual concerns. Some of these that you could base your nursing dissertation hereby follow:
- Evaluating the impact of health promoting interventions on public health in the UK.
- Contamination of drinking water in developing nations and its effects on public health.
- Evaluating health consequences of the public affected by natural disasters.
- AIDS and its social impact: A study in public health.
- Exercise habits and its relation with the epidemiological patterns of cardiovascular risks.
- The importance of a public health policy for controlling obesity in children.
- Poverty and its role in childhood diseases a public health issue.
- Public health responses and approaches for the prevention of cancer.
- Diabetes as a public health problem and associated lifestyle interventions.
- The growing problem of alcoholism and binge drinking among teenagers as an issue in public health
Community Nursing Dissertation Topics
Community nursing shows the importance of social interventions in healthcare, especially for the elderly or disabled, and is a generic term for school and health or district nursing. If you are looking to base your nursing dissertation in this area, the following topic suggestions may help you.
- The care of the elderly outpatients and community nursing services.
- Assessment of nutritional status of children as an essential part of community nursing.
- The provisions for integrated community nursing services and its impact on individual health costs.
- Health promotion through community nursing practice.
- The collaborative roles of GPs, nurses, social workers and policy makers in a community nursing centre.
- The use of community nursing services by patients following surgical procedures.
- The role of community nursing in improving quality of life of the elderly.
- Community nursing for the care of elderly suffering from chronic illnesses.
- A comparative study of community nursing and health care needs in different cities.
- An evaluation of community nursing services available for pregnant women and neonates.
Midwifery Dissertation Topics
The nursing practice related to midwifery deal with not just problems of pregnant women but also nursing and clinical interventions in pregnancy and the health issues involved. There are several topics within this area that you could explore for your nursing dissertation.
- The role of the midwife in high-risk pregnancies.
- Supportive nurse-midwife intervention team in managing caesarean sections.
- Model of care followed in standard midwifery practice within UK.
- Improving pregnancy outcomes and care with the help of midwives.
- Do the midwives influence decision-making and facilitate informed choices among pregnant women?
- Factors affecting the competence of midwives in a clinical setting.
- Midwives’ descriptions and perceptions of pregnant women with problems of substance abuse.
- Health risks of women due to postpartum depression and the role of the midwife.
- The long-term effects of social support and midwifery support during pregnancy.
- The attitudes towards confidentiality of patient information among midwives in the UK.
Health Organisations Dissertation Topics
Some of the major health agendas are supported and drafted by leading international health organisations and the possible research topics would highlight the R&D approaches of such organisations. Some possible research topics for your nursing dissertation include.
- Trend in research funding by the National Institutes of Health.
- The focus on public health policies in the UK as delineated by the Department of Health.
- The policies and approaches of the World Health Organisation in understanding child development.
- Effectiveness and efficiency of the National Health Service in providing services to the elderly.
- Research, development and strategic policies towards healthcare as followed by the NHS.
- New organisational directions in healthcare, policies and services.
- The extent of WHO focus on healthcare needs of developing nations.
- Organisational dynamics, culture and power within the National Health Service.
- Strategic management perspectives of international health organisations.
- Costs and healthcare plans of countries around the world: A report.
Evidence-based practice Dissertation Topics
Evidence-based practice is the most widely accepted form of practice in nursing and places importance on evidence in nursing interventions. If evidence-based practices intrigue you, perhaps you could look to the following topics for further reading for your nursing dissertation.
- Implementation of evidence based practice as models for change.
- Leadership and ethics in evidence based nursing practice.
- Evidence-based guidelines in promoting quality healthcare.
- Evidence-based practice as a theoretical and practical approach to. nursing interventions
- The use of evidence and implementation of evidence-based practice.
- The role and importance of reflection in evidence-based practice.
- A study on the efficacy of evidence-based practice in healthcare.
- Disease management with the use of evidence-based medicine.
- Starting evidence-based nursing program for health care needs of elderly cancer patients.
- Knowledge management in clinical practice and use of evidence.
Environmental Health Dissertation Topics
The environmental health issues relate to environmental health risks for the population and issues such as awareness of environmental problems, disposal of toxic wastes and hygiene, food consumption, pollution and diseases caused by environmental hazards. An important topic for many people, meaning that a Nursing Dissertation on Environmental health would make for a well read and useful piece of work.
- Air pollution and lung diseases among urban population in larger cities
- Environmental chemicals and adverse effects on reproductive health of humans
- Assessment of environmental health hazards caused by nuclear wastes
- Sanitary hygiene in developing nations and consequences in environmental health
- Environmental health perspectives on disposal of toxic wastes
- Prevention of arsenic and lead poisoning: A study in environmental health
- Heart rate changes due to exposure to passive smoking – an issue in environmental health
- Food poisoning and food related illnesses in different cities – environmental health perspectives
- Benefits of knowledge of major environmental health risks.
- Community participation and citizens’ role in developing awareness on issues in environmental health.
Occupational health and safety Dissertation Topics
The extent to which organisations are willing to attend to matters of occupational health shows the attitudes of companies towards factors such as occupational stress and work related illnesses and injuries. An important issue within a society where legal claims for injuries is becoming more prominent makes this an ideal subject area for your nursing dissertation. More specific topics are suggested below.
- Methods for preventing work-related injuries and illnesses.
- The relations between occupational safety, stress and health of workers.
- Using effective health interventions to empower workforce.
- Managing occupational health and safety needs of workers in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Occupational health concerns in a global economy and increased work pressure.
- Occupational health and safety aspects among workers in the factories.
- The growing need to realize occupational health and safety issues in industrialised societies.
- Occupational health psychology and interventions in stress management.
- The organisational initiative taken by a global company (Glaxo) to ensure occupational health and safety at the workplace: A case study.
- Long-term consequences of occupational stress among the police force.
Mental Health Dissertation Topics
The mental health needs of the population may vary and from women to the youth, mental illness could be prevented by maintaining appropriate mental health interventions. The topics below could be discussed further in your nursing dissertation on mental health.
- The efficacy of psychiatric treatment and medicine for schizophrenic patients.
- Attending to mental health needs of older adults suffering from depression and loneliness.
- Youth and adolescent problem of drinking and drugs and its relation with mental health.
- Understanding the mental health needs of women subjected to sexual and physical abuse.
- A comparative study of mental health issues in urban and rural societies.
- Stress and mental illness among gays, lesbians and bisexuals, due to social pressures.
- Unemployment as a factor in aggravating mental health problems.
- Socioeconomic backgrounds of individuals and evidence of mental illness.
- The link between mental illnesses and suicides in the urban youth population.
- Understanding the legal aspects of mental health research.
Models and Theories in Nursing Dissertation Topics
The application of nursing theories and models aids in clinical decision-making and provides the theoretical basis for changing healthcare perspectives in nursing. For further suggestions on topics for your nursing dissertation, please see below.
- The perspectives from nursing theories as used in nursing practice and interventions.
- Application of nursing theories in clinical decision-making.
- The Roper Logan Tierney model and its application in nursing practice, considering a case study of an emergency patient.
- Understanding holistic nursing practice with the McGill Model of Nursing
- Studying the role and importance of nursing models and theories in clinical interventions, and the efficacy of conceptual models in nursing practice.
- A comparative study of Neuman’s systems model, Roper Logan Tierney model, and McGill model of nursing.
- Roles of nurses and nursing models considering changing health care and nursing needs.
- The importance of reflection in nursing theory and practice.
- Public health nursing interventions using the Neuman systems model.
- Operationalisation of the Roper Logan Tierney model in nursing practice for treatment and care of psychiatric patients.
Copyright © Essaypedia Ltd. All rights reserved. All forms of copying, distribution or reproduction are strictly prohibited and will be prosecuted to the Full Extent of Law.