Choosing a good dissertation topic is a critical success factor in any writing venture.
In the discipline of management, it is important to select a research topic that is not only relevant but also resonates with the current issues and trends in research on management. Notably, good management dissertation topics are an aid in the provision of a firm foundation for research.
In structuring the research study, it is prudent that the aims of the study are framed well to ensure that the inferences in the study are valid. The selection of the right management dissertation topic can be challenging in the writing process but when this is done carefully, the development of the dissertation becomes a lot easier.
To assist the learners in settling on a specific topic, several topics have been suggested herein. The topics cover a broad range of areas under the disciplines of management such as organisational behaviour, leadership, management information systems, knowledge management as well as organisational culture. Some of the topics shall be under these key thematic areas:
- Organisational Behavior Dissertation Topics
- Management Information Systems Dissertation Topics
- Leadership Dissertation Topics
- Knowledge Management Dissertation Topics
- Organisational Culture Dissertation Topics
Organisational Behaviour Dissertation Topics
Research in organisational behaviour entails an inquiry into the strategies and initiatives developed by organisations in a bid to achieve their objectives. Several factors influence the organisational behaviour in management; they can either be internal or external factors. Some suggestions for management dissertation topics on organisational behaviour include:
- Can Tesco replicate the momentum of its Fresh & Easy brand in the American market?
- How can Tesco maintain its dominant market position in the UK?
- Evaluating organizational strategies applicable by Morrisons to broaden its market portfolio in the UK: An assessment of its strengths and weaknesses.
- How can Carphone Warehouse ensure successful cooperation with its joint venture partner Best Buy in the European market?
- Can Ryanair retain its competitive advantage as a low-cost company following the completion of Brexit?
- How can the current evolution of big data be applied in influencing organisational behaviour in the retail sector?
- What organisational factors are essential in influencing positive organisational reviews in the retail sector?
- Ryanair market strategies to assert dominance in the European low-cost airline market?
- The financial service industry in the globe: Evaluating the organisational changes required to enhance profitability.
- Perspectives on stakeholder theory and its role in organisational stability; the case of Enron.
- How have the current advances in technology influenced organisational behaviour in the banking industry?
- Impact of business ethics and CSR on societal welfare: the case of BP oil spill.
- Assessing the Commercial impacts of mergers and acquisition: a case study of RB and ABN Amro.
- Organisational strategies of enhancing competitive strategy in the UK market, a case study of RBS.
- How can Sainsbury’s compete successfully with Tesco in the food and non-food categories of its product portfolio?
- How can the ‘big 4’ UK supermarkets (i.e. Morrisons, Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury’s) effectively compete with discount supermarkets (e.g. Lidl, Aldi)?
- How can companies promote ethical behaviour and organisational citizenship behaviours? The influence of corporate ethical values.
- What are the organisational implications for Barclays Group of bringing in the foreign sovereign wealth funds as new equity stakeholders?
- How can easyJet continue to maintain its profitability and market share in the low-cost airline sector?
- The impact of talent management, work-life balance and retention strategies in the hospitality industry.
- The impact of diversity and globalisation on international firms’ ability to foster commitment and performance in the workplace.
- Do organisational support and perceived organisational competence influence employees’ affective commitment?
- Evaluating the effects of employee empowerment on workplace performance.
Management Information Systems Dissertation Topics
Research on management information seeks to establish how human capital, organisations and technology interact. The application of management information systems and the extent to which they improve organisational operations is a key aspect of research under this domain. Further, research on management information system seeks to unearth the current advances in information systems in organisations and the interplay between organisational performance or operations and the adoption of technology:
- Leveraging management information systems in customer retention: the case of Tesco.
- Evaluating the management model of information systems and its applicability in enhancing business operations in Tesco.
- Application of management information systems to improve customer relationship in Morrisons.
- In which of Morrisons’ organisational processes are management information systems most relevant and needed?
- How can Sainsbury’s use management information systems to develop a competitive advantage in its reward card offering?
- What are the key requirements to develop a competitively advantageous management information system?
- Is easyJet’s use of management information systems its key advantage over other low-cost competitors in the market?
- In which areas can easyJet further improve its use of management information systems?
- How can British Airways better utilise management information systems to address its organisational weaknesses?
- How does the use of management information systems by British Airways compare with competitors?
- How can financial services firms build and utilise management information systems as a source of competitive advantage in the sector?
- In which organisational processes and systems can financial services firms best utilise management information systems?
- How can RBS use management information systems in managing the integration of ABN Amro and building its retail customer base further?
- How does RBS compare with its competitors in its use of management information systems?
- How can Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy utilise management information systems in managing their joint venture and capturing share in the European market?
- How can Rentokil Initial’s senior management use management information systems in managing the turnaround and performance of the business?
- Assessing the implications of the use of social media in online travel information search.
- Applicability of management information systems in optimising operations of Rentokil Initial.
- How does the implementation of management information systems fit with the resource-based view of the firm?
- The impact of organisational culture on the adoption of management information systems.
Leadership Dissertation Topics
Research in leadership seeks to uncover the various aspects of organisational leadership and management and how they influence the operations in a firm. The conceptual framework of leadership is premised on the idea of positively influencing others towards specific objectives. As such, the research on leadership is meant to assess the various strategies applied in positively influencing others to pursue specific organisational goals. Moreover, research on leadership is keen on discussing various elements of leadership and how these can be applied in organisational operations:
- An evaluation of how Rentokil’s relatively new management can turn around the performance of the business and bring the organisation back to strong profitability.
- How can leadership influence the competitiveness of a firm in the 21st century? Case Study of Rentokil.
- An evaluation of how Tesco’s Fresh & Easy format in the US can leverage the strength of the UK leadership to bring success to the US division.
- Evaluate the leadership of Tesco’s US format and that of its competitors in the US. A comparison approach.
- How can an organisation identify key leaders internally that the firm can rely on? A case study of Northern Rock.
- Assessing the requirements for the new UBS leadership in managing the firm back to performance?
- Evaluation of leaders’ effectiveness in ensuring the sustainability of a firm’s success in the aviation industry amidst high fuel prices. A case study of British Airways.
- The British Airways Case study on how future leaders can be developed to achieve organisation goals and continued sustainability.
- How can RBS’ leadership manage the integration of ABN Amro successfully within the backdrop of the current credit crisis?
- An empirical study on how RBS and ABN Amro can leverage the existing leadership within the organisations?
- How can the leaders ensure proper integration of the businesses for the European joint venture in both Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy?
- A study on ways to identify leaders to manage a joint venture between Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy.
- Discussing how leadership strategies can be applied in sustaining organisational progress.
- How can firms manage leadership transition and ensure a continuous performance improvement of the firm? Morrison’s Case Study after the retirement of Sir Ken Morrison.
- A systematic review of transformational leadership initiatives in addressing organisational challenges.
- An assessment of the impact of top-level leaders’ retirement on the organisation performance and sustainability. A case study of Sir Ken Morrison retirement.
- How can leaders influence employees to increase their performance in the organisation to gain a competitive edge in the market?
- The theory of organisational leadership and its application in organisational performance.
- A close examination of the role of transformational leaders in organisation performance: Huawei Technologies.
- How can leaders in Huawei Technologies increase employee engagement as a motivation factor?
- Do the leadership models adopted by organisations influence the organisational performance in the market?
Knowledge Management Dissertation Topics
Research on “knowledge management” aims to assess the strategies of knowledge creation within an organisation. Further, inquiry into knowledge management can focus on the approaches used to share the created knowledge to the intended audience in a bid to enhance the visibility of the organisation. It is also in the interest of researchers on “knowledge management” to develop a framework through which the created knowledge can be used to transform the organisation. In essence, the researchers will be appraising the knowledge received and assessing the extent to which that knowledge can be applied in enhancing organisational outcomes:
- A study on how an organisation can utilise knowledge management to become a leader in the market. A Case Study of Tesco.
- The role of knowledge in management in nurturing organisational performance in the retail sector in the UK.
- An investigation of how Tesco’s knowledge management capabilities compare with its peer group.
- An evaluation of how Tesco can maximise the use of the information from the Tesco Club Card.
- How can Knowledge management be well utilised in Tesco’s business?
- An empirical study on how organisations can apply knowledge management in managing joint ventures in Europe. A Case Study of Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy.
- What are the key benefits that knowledge management capability can bring to organisations?
- Sustaining organisational performance in an era of technological advancement through knowledge management.
- Challenges of developing a framework of organisational knowledge management in the context of organisational management.
- How can Rentokil ensure that other senior managers successfully leverage the knowledge of the new senior management in managing businesses?
- An evaluation of how an organisation can institute a knowledge management process across its operation. A Case Study of Rentokil Case Study.
- Application of existing knowledge base from ABN Amro by RBS to enhance organisational performance.
- A study of the impact of Knowledge management in businesses integration. A case study of ABN Amro and RBS integration.
- How does Sainsbury’s match the knowledge management capability of Tesco and build its competence?
- Research assessments on the impact of knowledge management on company performance, focusing on Sainsbury’s business.
- How can Sainsbury’s leverage the information gained from its Nectar rewards programme?
- An evaluation of the scope of knowledge sharing between the firms: A critical focus on the Nectar programme.
- How organisations learn from their mistakes of handling customer complaints: A case study of British Airways.
- A comparison approach to Knowledge management capability between British Airways and its peer group.
- How can the Barclays Group build its knowledge management capability?
- A study on the key areas where Barclays Group can apply knowledge management.
- How can Ryanair build an organisation with knowledge management as a core competency?
- A research project on how Ryanair knowledge management capability compares with other low-cost airline competitors.
- How can knowledge management be used in an organisation as a source of competitive advantage? McKinsey &Co Case Study.
- An evaluation of the application of the knowledge management approach in the organisation as a tool to manage business strategies.
- A study on the application of knowledge management in technology firms: Huawei Case study.
Organisational Culture Dissertation Topics
The concept of organisational culture entails such issues as expectations, practices and values that inform organisational operations. Research in organisational culture thus focuses on addressing how these values influence organisational performance in the market:
- The impact of organisation culture on Rentokil’s performance.
- The relationship between new management and change in organisational culture. A case study of Rentokil.
- Modalities of establishing a new organisational culture in Rentokil.
- The influence of organisational culture on the implementation of the new management team. (Rentokil).
- An investigation on how organisations can leverage the organisation culture: (Tesco Case Study).
- A comparative approach to Tesco’s Organisation culture and its competitors’. (Tesco and Sainsbury).
- How applicable is the corporate culture of Tesco in its US venture?
- An approach on how organisations can develop a strong organisational culture. (A case study of Sainsbury).
- How can Sainsbury build an organisational culture that can match Tesco’s advantage?
- The effects of organisational culture on managing employees’ talent in Tesco.
- The impact of organisational culture on the performance of Tesco-UK.
- How to manage organisational culture in the case of RBS and ABN Amro merger.
- Which aspects of ABN Amro’s culture are worth keeping and incorporating in the RBS organisational culture?
- An evaluation of how to manage organisational culture after joint venture: A case study of Carphone Warehouse Best Buy.
- Conflicts arising from differences in organisational cultures of Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy?
- How can Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy merge their organisational cultures and manage the best of both cultures?
- Evaluating the changes in Northern Rock corporate culture in response to share price changes of the firm.
- The impact of Starbucks ‘organisation culture on employee motivation.
- Influence of organisational culture on leadership approaches adopted in organisational management.
- The influence of organisational culture on the firm’s competitiveness in the market: a case study of Costa Coffee.