Management Dissertation Topics
Choosing good management dissertation topic is critical to ensuring a good start to a dissertation which is relevant, up-to-date, and in line with current trends and issues in management. Good management dissertation topics are important because they provide a starting point for research, including defining the research questions and developing the research aims and objectives. Defining specific and achievable research aims and objectives is an essential step in structuring one’s dissertation. Choosing the right management dissertation topic may be the most challenging task in completing a dissertation. To help students make that decision, suggestions of management dissertation topics are provided in this article. The topics cover areas of organisational behaviour, leadership, management information systems, knowledge management and organisational culture.
Organisational Behaviour Dissertation Topics
Organisational behaviour research deals with the actions, plans and programmes, either proactive or reactive, that a firm undertakes in order to achieve pre-defined objectives and accomplish its mission. Organisational behaviour is predominantly influenced by factors internal to the firm as well as the competitive dynamics in the sector in which it operates. Some suggestions for management dissertation topics on organisational behaviour are outlined below.
• Can Tesco replicate the momentum of its Fresh & Easy brand in the American market?
• How can Tesco maintain its dominant market position in the UK?
• What organisational actions does Morrisons need to pursue to increase its market share in the UK? An assessment of its strengths and weaknesses.
• How can Carphone Warehouse ensure a successful cooperation with its joint venture partner Best Buy in the European market?
• Can Ryanair retain its competitive advantage as a low-cost company following the completion of Brexit?
• How can Ryanair maintain its dominance in the European low-cost airline market?
• What organisational changes are needed for financial services firms to remain profitable?
• The case of Enron explained through stakeholder theory.
• How do a lack of business ethics and CSR impact societal welfare? The case of BP oil spill.
• Assessing the advantages and disadvantages of mergers and acquisitions: The case of RBS’s acquisition of ABN Amro.
• What are the key organisational actions needed by RBS to remain competitively advantageous in the UK market?
• How can Sainsbury’s compete successfully with Tesco in the food and non-food categories of its product portfolio?
• How can the ‘big 4’ UK supermarkets (i.e. Morrisons, Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury’s) effectively compete with discount supermarkets (e.g. Lidl, Aldi)?
• How can companies promote ethical behaviour and organisational citizenship behaviours? The influence of corporate ethical values.
• What are the organisational implications for Barclays Group of bringing in the foreign sovereign wealth funds as new equity stakeholders?
• How can easyJet continue to maintain its profitability and market share in the low-cost airline sector?
• How can easyJet organise the firm in order to be flexible in the increasingly dynamic low-cost airline sector?
• An evaluation of the impact of Brexit on international firms’ Human Resources.
• The impact of talent management, work-life balance and retention strategies in the hospitality industry.
• The impact of diversity and globalisation on international firms’ ability to foster commitment and performance in the workplace.
• Do organisational support and perceived organisational competence influence employees’ affective commitment?
• Evaluating the relationship between leadership style, job satisfaction and culture of the organisation
• Employee empowerment and internal marketing: How do they influence workplace performance?
Management Information Systems Dissertation Topics
Organisations are increasingly recognising the importance of management information systems. Nonetheless, such management information systems are frequently under-utilised by organisations. Management information systems can enhance the performance of an organisation in a number of ways. For example, organisations use them to support organisational initiatives and decision-making processes which are designed to produce beneficial changes to the organisation. Some suggestions for management dissertation topics on information systems are outlined below.
• How can Tesco leverage its use of management information systems to retain its existing customers?
• How does Tesco maintain strong management information systems?
• How can Morrisons utilise management information systems to improve its customer relationship management and database?
• In which of Morrisons’ organisational processes are management information systems most relevant and needed?
• How can Sainsbury’s use management information systems to develop competitive advantage in its reward card offering?
• What are the key requirements to develop a competitively advantageous management information system?
• Is easyJet’s use of management information systems its key advantage over other low-cost competitors in the market?
• In which areas can easyJet further improve its use of management information systems?
• How can British Airways better utilise management information systems to address its organisational weaknesses?
• How does the use of management information systems by British Airways compare with competitors?
• How can financial services firms build and utilise management information systems as a source of competitive advantage in the sector?
• In which organisational processes and systems can financial services firms best utilise management information systems?
• How can RBS use management information systems in managing the integration of ABN Amro and building its retail customer base further?
• How does RBS compare with its competitors in its use of management information systems?
• How can Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy utilise management information systems in managing their joint venture and capturing share in the European market?
• In which business management operations can management information systems be best utilised by Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy?
• How can Rentokil Initial’s senior management use management information systems in managing the turnaround and performance of the business?
• Which parts of Rentokil Initial can benefit the most from the use of management information systems?
• What are the challenges and advantages of managing information systems?
• Understanding the role of social media in online travel information search
• The impact of information technology systems on organisational performance.
• How does the implementation of management information systems fit with the resource-based view of the firm?
• The impact of organisational culture and technology acceptance on adopting management information systems.
Leadership Dissertation Topics
Leadership is one of the most fundamental elements that makes an impact on an organisation’s performance, drives change and sets the blueprint for achieving set goals and objectives. Top level managers and leaders of organisations are critical in influencing the direction of the sub-divisions, business units and the overall organisation. The following dissertation topics are based solely on the topic of leadership:
• An evaluation of how Rentokil’s relatively new management can turn around the performance of the business and bring the organisation back to strong profitability.
• How can leadership influence the competitiveness of a firm in the 21st century? Case Study of Rentokil.
• How can the future leadership of the firm be influenced by the hiring of new senior management?
• How can Rentokil demonstrate the reliance on internal leadership with the Board bringing in external leaders to manage the firm?
• An evaluation of how Tesco’s Fresh & Easy format in the US can leverage the strength of the UK leadership to bring success to the US division.
• Evaluate the leadership of Tesco’s US format and that of its competitors in the US. A comparison approach.
• How can Northern Rock’s new CEO lead the organisation to success following the drop in performance and clients?
• How can an organisation identify key leaders internally that the firm can rely on? A case study of Northern Rock.
• A study on how UBS’ new management can bring back the firm’s reputation and regain its position as a top global investment bank.
• What are the main requirements for the new UBS leadership in managing the firm back to performance?
• Evaluation of leaders’ effectiveness in ensuring the sustainability of a firm’s success in the aviation industry amidst high fuel prices. A case study of British Airways.
• The British Airways Case study on how future leaders can be developed to achieve organisation goals and continued sustainability.
• How can RBS’ leadership manage the integration of ABN Amro successfully within the backdrop of the current credit crisis?
• An empirical study on how RBS and ABN Amro can leverage the existing leadership within the organisations?
• How can the leaders ensure a proper integration of the businesses for the European joint venture in both Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy?
• A study on ways to identify leaders to manage a joint venture between Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy
• How can firms manage leadership transition and ensure a continued performance improvement of the firm? Morrison’s Case Study after the retirement of Sir Ken Morrison.
• An assessment of the impact of top-level leaders’ retirement on the organisation performance and sustainability. A case study of Sir Ken Morrison retirement.
• How can leaders influence employees to increase their performance in the organisation to gain a competitive edge in the market?
• A close examination of the role of transformational leaders in organisation performance: Huawei Technologies
• How can leaders in Huawei Technologies increase employee engagement as a motivation factor?
Knowledge Management Dissertation Topics
Knowledge management is critical in all sectors because through it, an organisation controls its knowledge assets to create the values of its strategic plans. The use of knowledge management can be a source of competitive advantage for some organisations; therefore, it is a very important concept. Due to the fact that it is a new concept, knowledge management has created extensive opportunities for many dissertations as many scholars are interested in its study. Some of the possible dissertation topics in this area include:
• A study on how an organisation can utilise knowledge management to become a leader in the market. A Case Study of Tesco.
• An investigation of how Tesco’s knowledge management capabilities compare with its peer group.
• An evaluation of how Tesco can maximise the use of the information from the Tesco Club Card.
• How can Knowledge management be well utilised in Tesco’s business?
• An empirical study on how organisations can apply knowledge management in managing joint ventures in Europe. A Case Study of Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy.
• What are the key benefits that knowledge management capability can bring to organisations?
• How can Rentokil ensure that other senior managers successfully leverage the knowledge of the new senior management in managing businesses?
• An evaluation of how an organisation can institute a knowledge management process across its operation. A Case Study of Rentokil Case Study.
• How can RBS utilise the existing knowledge base from ABN Amro to its advantage and benefit the organisation?
• A study of the impact of Knowledge management in businesses integration. A case study of ABN Amro and RBS integration.
• How does Sainsbury’s match the knowledge management capability of Tesco and build its competence?
• Research assessments on the impact of knowledge management on company performance, focusing on Sainsbury’s business.
• How can Sainsbury’s leverage the information gained from its Nectar rewards programme?
• An evaluation of the scope of knowledge sharing between the firms: A critical focus on the Nectar programme.
• How organisations learn from their mistakes of handling customer complaints: A case study of British Airways.
• A comparison approach to Knowledge management capability between British Airways and its peer group.
• How can the Barclays Group build its knowledge management capability?
• A study on the key areas in which Barclays Group can apply knowledge management.
• How can Ryanair build an organisation with knowledge management as a core competency?
• A research project on how Ryanair knowledge management capability compares with other low-cost airline competitors.
• How can knowledge management be used in an organisation as a source of competitive advantage? McKinsey &Co Case Study.
• An evaluation of the application of knowledge management approach in the organisation as a tool to manage business strategies.
• A study on the application of knowledge management in technology firms: Huawei Case study.
Organisational Culture Dissertation Topics
Organisational culture is one of the most important aspects of the organisation. It helps in defining organisations and provides a work ethos for the workforce, including the senior management. Organisational culture differentiates one organisation from another and it influences an organisation’s performance. Here are some dissertation topics that can be considered on the subject of organisational culture:
• The impact of organisation culture on Rentokil’s performance.
• The relationship between new management and change in an organisational culture. A case study of Rentokil
• How can the new senior management of Rentokil establish a new organisational culture?
• The influence of organisational culture on the implementation of the new management team. (Rentokil).
• An investigation on how organisations can leverage the organisation culture: (Tesco Case Study)
• A comparative approach to Tesco’s Organisation culture and its competitors’. (Tesco and Sainsbury).
• An empirical research on how Tesco can ensure that it shares the same organisational culture with its subsidiaries (Fresh & Easy brand -US )
• How applicable is the corporate culture of Tesco in its US venture?
• An approach on how organisations can develop a strong organisational culture. (Case study of Sainsbury).
• How can Sainsbury build an organisational culture that can match Tesco’s advantage?
• The effects of organisational culture on managing employees’ talent in Tesco.
• The impact of organisation culture of the performance of Tesco-UK.
• How to manage organisation culture in the case of RBS and ABN Amro merger.
• Which aspects of ABN Amro’s culture are worth keeping and incorporating in the RBS organisational culture?
• An evaluation of how to manage organisation culture after joint venture: A case study of Carphone Warehouse Best Buy.
• What are possible areas of conflict that may appear given the differences in the organisational cultures of Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy?
• How can Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy merge their organisational cultures and manage the best of both cultures?
• How to address the issues of organisational culture differences between Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy joint venture.
• How can a new CEO for Northern Rock instill a new organisational culture?
• How much has the corporate culture of Northern Rock changed as a result of the challenges it faced with the bank run and drop in share price?
• The impact of Starbucks ‘organisation culture on employee motivation.
• How does the organisation culture influence the type of leadership approach to be adopted?
• The influence of organisation culture on the firm’s competitiveness in the industry. A case study of Costa Coffee.
Copyright © Essaypedia Ltd. All rights reserved. All forms of copying, distribution or reproduction are strictly prohibited and will be prosecuted to the Full Extent of Law.