It can be challenging as final year post-graduate students to find good hospitality and tourism dissertation topics. Good Dissertation topics answer a burning question based on the area of study and where the author feels ‘driven’ to explore it further. It is imperative the proposal provides a clear chart of the question asked, why it is relevant to your field of study, a conceptual outline, known academic sources and what your strategy of research is in detail. To find and develop good Hospitality and Tourism dissertation topics, students must first know and identify their question, whether there are available sources and tools of discipline and their ability to carry out the research. Current issues about particular subjects should be embedded in dissertation topics to make them interesting and up-to-date. This article gives guidance to students seeking to develop good hospitality, travel and tourism dissertation topics. Topics that could be used for your Travel and Tourism dissertation cover subjects such as travel, Ecotourism, Dark tourism, Inbound and Outbound tourism and Domestic tourism.
- Ecotourism Dissertation Topics
- Dark Tourism Dissertation Topics
- Hospitality Dissertation Topics
- Tourism Management Dissertation Topics
- Medical Tourism Dissertation Topics
- Educational Tourism Dissertation Topics
Ecotourism Dissertation Topics
Ecotourism or Ecological Tourism became a travel concept in the late 1980s when globally there was increasing environmental awareness and people were wishing to visit natural locations rather than man-made tourist destinations; this form of tourism grabs the attention of those interested in ecological and social concerns. Ecotourism is defined as travel to undisturbed destinations where the tourist is educated about the area and physical landscape; cultural heritage and characteristics are the main attractions and provides opportunities to help support local communities or fund economic development and conservation of sites or cultural traditions. In general, ecotourism focuses on the way tourists can live harmoniously with the planet. Topics that could be discussed within your tourism dissertation include:
- Perception and attitude toward ecotourism in Scotland among British tourists.
- How to develop Edinburgh as an ecotourism destination?
- Factors affecting ecotourism in 2018?
- Does ecotourism economically benefit local communities?
- Is ecotourism in developing countries better than in the Western world?
- Examining the benefits of integrated marketing communication to ecotourism in the UK?
- Is price the main influence for ecotourism destinations among British customers?
- Does Swansea have potential in becoming the new ecotourism destination of the UK?
- Do British customers prefer international ecotourism rather than British ecotourism?
- Examining the implications of the Internet on the growth of ecotourism
- What can be done to help the fragile ecosystems of the Hawaiian Islands’ endangered plant and animal species?
- Why is Ecotourism a growing trend and will become the top travel tourism in 2018 according to The Times UK?
- How has Ecotourism affected consumer buying behaviour globally?
Dark Tourism Dissertation Topics
Dark tourism is also known as grief tourism or black tourism. Dark tourism involves travelling to sites associated with suffering, death and atrocities such as castles and battlefields such as Culloden in Scotland, Auschwitz, nuclear disaster zones and genocide memorials. Dark tourists seek to and understand the causes behind these events and reflect on the nature of humans involved. Possible areas to research for your tourism dissertation include:
- Does visiting a site of suffering and death socially and commercially benefit local communities?
- Perception and attitude of tourists towards the Jack the Ripper site.
- Dark tourism factors affecting consumer buying in the UK.
- How to use marketing communication tools to promote infamous dark tourism sites in the UK?
- Perception and attitude of foreign tourists toward Edinburgh Dungeon.
- Are purpose built dark tourism sites more interesting than natural disaster or man-made black tourism sites?
- Perception and attitude of British customers towards man-made dark tourism sites: The case study of Ground Zero.
- How to promote Beaumaris Prison in Anglesey, Wales, as a new dark tourism site in the UK.
- Factors affecting British customers when choosing dark tourism sites in foreign countries.
- How to develop a marketing plan for London Dungeon.
- How to make Mercat Tour in Scotland a dark tourism site.
- Can Dark tourism be used as an educational tool to develop positive emotions in tourists?
- Dark Tourism, understanding the inspiration and impulse.
- Dark tourism focuses mainly on the victims affected, what is the relevance of focusing on the perpetrators instead, and how might this impact tourists differently?
Hospitality Dissertation Topics
Generally, hospitality refers to jobs in the hospitality industry, such as hotels and resorts, restaurants, catering and casinos alongside any hospitality positions that deal with tourists. Hospitality involves the relationship process between the hotel and a guest. It also involves the act of being hospitable, such as guest reception and entertainment with friendliness, goodwill and liberality. Hospitality is also known as the act of giving care and kind-heartedness to whomever is in need. Hospitality is important to modern day businesses, and one of the following topics could make for a good tourism dissertation:
- Why do customers choose leisure hotels when they plan overseas holidays?
- Perception and attitude of British customers toward the Hilton Hotel in London.
- Does the brand of leisure hotel matter when British customers choose accommodation?
- Buying Decisions and how it affects leisure tourism with regards to British customers.
- Examining the implications of the Internet towards online travel agents: The case study of Lastminute.com
- Investigating expectations of budget hotels: The case study of Holiday Inn Express.
- Does brand extension in hotel chains affect buying decisions of customers?
- Does brand influence the buying decision making of pubs and restaurants in the UK?
- Perception and attitude of British customers toward food ordering via the internet through Pizza Hut.
- How can small catering firms utilise integrated marketing communication to create brand recognition and sales?
- Do cultural nuances between British and French customers influence buying decisions for leisure hotels?
- How to motivate employees in pubs and restaurants in London?
- Perception and attitude towards Thai food among British customers.
- Factors affecting restaurant selections on a Friday night out.
- Factors affecting leisure tourists’ ‘buying decision making’ choices among British honeymoon couples.
- Examining perception and attitude of British customers towards two online travel agents: Opodo.com and eBooker.com.
- How have technology and more millennials travelling impacted the Hospitality Industry for Hotels?
- With more people travelling solo, what has the hospitality industry done to accommodate and attract more visitors?
- How will the upcoming Royal wedding of 2018 have positive impacts on the Hospitality Industry?
Tourism Management Dissertation Topics
Tourism management is the discipline that deals with the generalised management along with entrepreneurial, specialised and practical skills and competencies required for effective and efficient outcomes for recreation and leisure travel. Tourism is the fastest growing industry globally that has direct and indirect implications on economic, social and political indicators. In order to maximise the advantages and minimise the disadvantages from tourism development, the discipline has also included the perspectives of social sustainability and policy makers. Traditionally, the countries that have natural comparative advantage were seen as the focal point of the tourism industry, however the economic relationship of the industry has led the countries lacking such comparative advantage to use their history, heritage, culture, festivals and mega-events to promote and develop tourism. Topic suggestions below could help you narrow your research for your tourism dissertation.
- What are the key antecedents shaping domestic and overseas tourism preferences of British tourists?
- Development of decision making framework of British tourists in selecting tourist destinations during the summer holidays.
- Perception and attitude of millennials toward cruise holidays.
- Explicit or implicit factors affecting European city break package tours among British customers.
- Critical analysis of “I Amsterdam” city branding campaign to improve the negative image of Amsterdam.
- Perception and attitude towards Bangkok as a winter holiday destination among British tourists.
- Role of global terrorism in shaping the image of tourism destinations – Case study of Egypt and Tunisia.
- The implications of the Tsunami on the tourism industry in Phuket, Thailand.
- Role of strategic human resource management in developing sustainable competitive advantage in contemporary budget hotel chains.
- What makes South East Asia an attractive tourist destination during winter for British customers?
- The Role of London Olympics in enhancing the scope of tourism to the city.
- Perception and attitude toward Beijing’s world heritage tour among British tourists.
- Use of sporting events to develop tourism branding – Analysis of Qatar with regards to the FIFA World Cup.
- What are the disadvantages of tourism development and how can policy makers minimise them?
Critical evaluation of summer festivals in the UK as a source of domestic tourism development.
Medical Tourism Dissertation Topics
The difference in cost of medical procedures in different countries combined with the lower cost of travel has led to the development of medical tourism. The price dynamics of medical procedures in developed economies is developed under stringent regulatory and legal frameworks, which is coupled with higher cost of living in these economies, therefore resulting in significantly higher costs in comparison with emerging and developing economies. This high cost differential is combined with deteriorating cost of international travel, which has resulted in the emergence of medical tourism. There may not be much literature to research in this area, but it may be an interesting area to research and discuss for your tourism dissertation.
- Perception and attitude toward extreme plastic surgery makeovers in South Asia among female British customers.
- Emergence of Poland as medical tourism destination.
- Evaluating the perception of British men towards hair transplant package tours in Turkey.
- Switzerland – a destination for spa and wellness breaks or weight loss package tours.
- How British females make buying decisions to purchase body contour tour packages in Malaysia.
- Measuring the satisfaction of British customers after having weight lost massage and spa treatments in India.
- Sex reassignment as medical tourism brand for Bangkok – Case study of Yanhee International Hospital, Bangkok.
- How to promote the Slimming Up Centre as a brand for weight control in London.
- Perception and attitude of British customers toward plastic surgery holidays and extreme makeovers in Thailand.
- How British customers choose medical tourism destinations for dental tour packages.
- India as an emerging medical tourism destination for surrogate births.
- Macro and micro business environment factors contributing to success of Eastern European countries as becoming successful medical tourism destinations.
- The impact of medical tourism on local health systems – Critical analysis of Thailand
Educational Tourism Dissertation Topics
Educational tourism involves attracting students, scholars and academics to a destination due to the perception of quality education, practical skills and career development. Although the main focus of educational tourism is to gain quality education, it also enriches cultural diversity and can shift the perceptions of individuals. A good example of this is exchange student programmes and gap year travel programmes. Educational tourism can take many shapes and forms including formal and informal educational and learning trips. Areas for research for your tourism dissertation include the following:
- Perception and attitude of international students towards work and study in the UK.
- How young British students choose cultural exchange programmes in the US.
- Does a gap year improve skills and competencies – Evaluating employability of British students after a gap year exchange student programme in Spain.
- Factors affecting the decision of young British students to take part in a one academic year student exchange programme in France.
- What are the decision making factors used by undergraduate British students in deciding on a Placement Program in developed and developing economies.
- Perception and attitude of university students towards volunteer summer camps in South Africa.
- Effectiveness in developing soft skills as a result of cultural exchange programmes.
- Emergence of China as an alternative source of international academics.
- Factors influencing British students to take an academic year student exchange programme in Japan.
- Critical evaluation of integrated marketing use by the British Council to attract international students.
- Factors influencing international students to choose the UK as their preferred higher education destination.
- How British students make the decision to join international educational tourism programmes.
- Does the popularity of the country have an impact on decisions to join an educational tourism program?
- Economic impact of foreign students on university towns in the UK – Case of Durham
- How the relationship of the UK with Commonwealth countries have resulted in the growth of the British education sector?
Copyright © Ivory Research Co Ltd. All rights reserved. All forms of copying, distribution or reproduction are strictly prohibited and will be prosecuted to the Full Extent of Law.