Choosing an appropriate dissertation topic is the first step in implementing an appropriate, effective, and specialised research strategy that in turn allows students to facilitate their own academic and professional development.
The ability to explore a given subject in depth and to use the appropriate research tools to answer a dissertation question is often regarded as one of the most essential processes that indicates and demonstrates students’ capacities as future researchers.
Therefore, it is important for students to have clear knowledge of the current trends pertaining to their discipline, thus allowing them to make informed decision regarding their own professional future.
To help students prepare for this process this article highlights several healthcare dissertation topics that healthcare students can base their project on; these are divided into five categories: Global health policies, healthcare management, evidence-based healthcare, mental healthcare, and technological advancements (technology takeover).
- Global health policies dissertation topics
- Healthcare management
- Evidence-based practice
- Mental health care dissertation topics
- Technology takeover
Global health policies dissertation topics
In general, global health policies pertain to the decisions and the decision-making processes that translate evidence-based practice and healthcare into effective public interventions. The COVID-19 pandemic has dominated our lives but has also highlighted the importance of public health policies. As such, the following topics revolve around this field of healthcare.
- Lessons from the COVID-19 pandemic: How can the World Health Organisation prevent and respond to major pandemic crises?
- What is the effect of recent public health policies on reducing or controlling childhood obesity? A UK-based case study.
- What are the current trends, attitudes, and causes that facilitate and establish vaccine hesitancy in British HCPs and what are the barriers towards mitigating this phenomenon?
- The European Union demonstrated a very inefficient response in terms of securing an adequate number of vaccines in the recent COVID-19 pandemic. What are the underlying reasons for this response to the COVID-19 outbreak?
- Models and policies of supervision used as a support method for therapists.
- It has been one year since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. How has Brexit affected Britain’s response to this outbreak?
Healthcare management involves the administration of care systems and institutions and the means with which these processes can optimise healthcare treatment, delivery, and the quality of healthcare services provided. Therefore, healthcare management is also intertwined with patient satisfaction and patient outcomes.
- What are the ramifications of increasing patient numbers in emergency care settings?
- What are the socioeconomic and intrinsic healthcare barriers that prevent vaccine equity?
- Investigating the factors that undermine childhood vaccine coverage in the UK.
- Ethical and legal matters regarding patients refusing treatment: a deontological approach.
- What are the best healthcare management practices in follow-up procedures following medical-related errors?
- What is the difference and the effectiveness of horizontal and vertical healthcare strategies?
Evidence-based practise or EBP is an interdisciplinary approach in which current scientific evidence is used to formulate and define the underlying decision-making processes regarding patient care and treatment. Therefore, this term underlines the importance of integrating clinical experience with the best and most appropriate clinical evidence stemming from systematic research. Dissertation topics related to evidence-based practice intend to investigate the most effective care available and whose implementation is bound to improve patient outcomes and satisfaction rates.
- A Systematic review on the effectiveness of single and multi-tablet regimes for treating HIV in patients.
- What are the determinants for success in apical surgery? A systematic review.
- Can chronic stress increase the risk of atherosclerosis?
- Can stigmatisation help change or shape individual health behaviours?
- What is the efficiency of physical activity in terms of reducing excessive weight during pregnancy?
- Child poverty and healthcare access: A case study for the UK.
- Diabetes: The efficiency of associated lifestyle interventions in tackling this major public health issue.
Mental health care dissertation topics
Mental health care refers to the services, policies, and processes that focus on the treatment of mental illnesses and disorders. Therefore, the main purpose of this healthcare field involves the improvement of mental health in patients suffering from dementia, anxiety disorders, depression, personality disorders, etc. by enhancing their quality of life through consultation, support, and innovative therapeutic approaches.
- What is the psychological and mental aftermath of the COVID-19 outbreak in children?
- Mapping of the pathophysiology related to the diagnosis of a person experiencing complex healthcare needs such as vascular dementia.
- Evaluating the risk of suicidal intent in individual who survive overdoses via routine screening for depression and alcohol abuse.
- Assessing and understanding the mental health needs of individuals who have suffered sexual and physical abuse.
- What is the relationship between mental health and physical health: A systematic review.
- Providing support and consultation to families who care for elderly patients with dementia. A focus on modern technology.
- Non-medical strategies to assist patients suffering from depression in the UK. A qualitative study.
Undoubtedly, the recent technological advancements have transformed healthcare, and this trend is expected not only to continue but also to become significantly more prevalent in the coming years. Elements such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, telemedicine, and healthcare cryptocurrencies are destined to change healthcare delivery and management. However, these advancements have also introduced essential challenges related to data privacy and cybersecurity.
- How does telemedicine and comprehensive remote work affect healthcare efficiency?
- What is the effect of healthcare cryptocurrencies with respect to long-term therapeutic efficiency?
- Data privacy and cybersecurity in care settings: the case of Palantir Foundry in the NHS.
- What is the effect of 5G technologies in care delivery and remote medical care consultation?
- What is the effectiveness and related challenges of e-learning in healthcare settings?
- Deep learning has been identified as one of the most promising and feasible diagnostic processes of artificial intelligence. How can deep learning be used to diagnose diseases in patients?
- Technology has shaped healthcare in irreversible ways. However, has it also facilitated a distinct exacerbation in malpractice claims?