A dissertation (or a final year project report) is a comprehensive technical report of the research work carried out. A dissertation must present some new, original concepts that lead to further research. The core area of a dissertation consists of a hypothesis (or a research question) upon which an investigation is conducted and, in most cases, inevitably leads to further research. A dissertation must be focused, concise and must address the research topics at every level. Also, along with research, a dissertation is expected to present complete evidence of research work in the form of research methods. Sometimes it’s hard to even know where to start. Herein, many engineering research areas, currently being sought after in the industry and academia, are suggested, including electronics, sensors technology, environmental engineering, supply chain engineering, computer science engineering, electrical engineering and civil engineering, to help you start your research.
- Electronics and Communication Dissertation Topics
- Sensors Technology Dissertation Topics
- Environmental Engineering Dissertation Topics
- Supply Chain Engineering Dissertation Topics
- Supply Chain Management Dissertation Topics
- Computer Science Engineering Dissertation Topics
- Electrical Engineering Dissertation Topics
- Civil Engineering Dissertation Topics
- Management Related Engineering Dissertation Topics
Electronics and Communications Dissertation Topics
Over the past decade the rise of electronic communication has been revolutionised; it is the fastest growing technology. There are numerous areas of research in this field; however, the most demanding ones are highlighted below.
- Defining the boundaries of electrical signals for current electronics (communication) systems.
- The limitation of fibre optic communication systems and the possibility of further improving their efficiency.
- Developing the embedded communication system for the national grid to optimise energy usage.
- Improvement of inter-symbol interference in optical communications.
- A study of the various forms of errors and the development of an equalisation technique to reduce the error rates in data.
- Gaussian pulse analysis and the improvement of this pulse to reduce errors.
- Realising the potential of RFID in the improvement of supply chain.
- Radiation in integrated circuits and electronic devices.
- Design of high speed communication circuits that effectively cut down signal noise.
- Spectral sensing research for water monitoring applications and frontier science and technology for chemical, biological and radiological defence.
- Nano-structured membranes for preparative purifications of biopharmaceuticals.
Sensors Technology Dissertation Topics
The rise of smart technology has been revolutionising sensor technologies, and there is a high demand to make more efficient and compact sensors. The following topics are a few areas that researchers are currently working in to realise further potentials.
- Design and development of a pressure sensor for a solar thermal panel.
- An investigation into wind speed and direction sensors to optimise the operations of wind turbines.
- Utilising MEMS for profiling airflow around large building structures.
- Development of micro sensors to measure oil flow rate in tanks.
- Development and implementation of micro sensors to study pressure of the blood stream.
- Development of sensors to measure heat generated from solar panels.
- Sensing and controlling the intensity of light in LEDs.
- Research and computational simulation of a natural olfactory biosensor.
- Development of glucose biosensors using nanotechnology.
Environmental Engineering Dissertation Topics
We are living in the age of technology where the driving force is to reduce the environmental impact of engineering products. Many countries have been undertaking projects supporting the environment and aiming to reduce carbon emissions. The following engineering dissertation topics are of utmost interest for researchers in the industry.
- Analysing the impact of aviation industry on the environment and the potential ways to reduce it.
- The environmental cost of the so called green energy, ‘wind energy’.
- An analysis of factors that hinder the realising of cutting-edge technology for reducing carbon emissions from automobiles.
- Design and development of a system for measuring the carbon index of an energy intensive company.
- Process improvement techniques to identify and remove waste in the automotive industry.
- Process mapping techniques to identify bottle necks for supply chain industry.
- A study of compressor operations on a forging site and mapping operations to identify and remove energy waste.
- Improving processes to reduce kWh usage and reduce inefficiencies.
- Developing a compact device to measure energy use for a household.
- In the forging industry how can changing burners within furnaces help organisations achieve energy efficiency?
- How can gas consumption be reduced and efficiency introduced to reduce kWh usage?
- How can voltage reduction devices help organisations achieve efficiency in electricity usage?
- What are carbon credits and how can organisations generate them?
- There are some organisations that use water excessively, with bills totalling more than £25,000. Identify the main reasons for such water usage and investigate better ways to introduce water efficiency and create savings.
- Identify the ways by which efficient control systems using information systems can be introduced to study the energy usage in a machining factory.
- A project to set up ways to measure natural gas flow ultrasonically and identify waste areas.
- How can water conductivity probes help determine water quality and how can water be reused?
Supply Chain Engineering Dissertation Topics
Supply chain plays an important role in the manufacturing business sector. It is important that the supply chain is well supported by efficient methods and processes. Your engineering dissertation topics could be about:
- Highlighting the difference between the supply chain engineering and management for a company to improve output.
- Analysing the key factors in process planning and optimisation of supply chain for a manufacturing company.
- Developing a supply chain template for a small but thriving online business.
- How can organisations achieve success by reducing bottlenecks in supply chain?
- Just-in-time – is it really valid? Measurement of losses within just-in-time process implementation.
- How can process efficiency be introduced to reduce waste within the manufacturing process?
- Supplier relationship is an important factor for the success of just-in-time. How can organisations ensure successful transactions?
- Research to identify efficient logistics operations within a supply chain.
- Research to introduce efficiency within information systems and support timely transfer of knowledge and information.
- The effect of globalisation on supply chain engineering/management for large multi-national companies.
- Research studying the impact of culture on supply chain industries: identification of factors that generate inefficiencies with the supply chain.
Supply Chain Management Dissertation Topics
Supply chain management involves the administration, management, control and supervision of the movement of goods and services from supplier to manufacturer to wholesaler to retailer and to the end consumer. Supply chain management involves coordinating and integrating these elements using an effective and efficient approach and methodology. Supply chain management is important for businesses to ensure there is minimum waste, drive innovation thereby creating integrated value chains.
Supply chain management plays an important and central role in the success of a business. Please find a list of topics on supply chain management that may be useful for your engineering dissertation:
- A detailed investigation into the need and use of dynamic staff to determine and rectify supply chain problems with a specific focus on the construction industry.
- Research into eco-friendly and sustainable practices in supply chain management.
- Research to develop a learning organisation and its impact on supply chain management.
- Research to measure and develop intellectual capital within the supply chain industry.
- A detailed study of innovative forecasting and demand planning strategies for supply chain management
- Research study to create measurements to study the impact of learning organisation on performance measurement in supply chain industry
- Impact of training on knowledge performance index within supply chain industry.
- The behaviour of Carbon index with the implementation of a learning organisation.
- Developing a framework for supply chain management in densely populated urban cities
- Detailed investigation and analysis taking into account supply chain and logistical strategies for perishable goods.
- The influence and impact of emerging e-commerce technologies on supply chain management.
Computer Science Engineering Dissertation Topics
Computer science engineering focuses on the key elements of computer programming and networking with a focus on gaining knowledge of the design, implementation and management of information systems. Information systems play a major role in computer science engineering and an integral component to the successful operations of organisations. The management of information technology systems is a major element for organisations. The following could be used for an engineering dissertation as well as a computing dissertation:
- How can organisations ensure that information system is effectively used to maintain process efficiency?
- How can learning organisations influence the development of information systems?
- The role of risk management in information technology systems of organisations.
- Research to identify and reduce e-waste using information technology strategies and systems.
- Current status and research on E-waste in the United Kingdom
- Development of measurement systems to measure e-waste.
- A detailed review of the role of information technology in improving productivity and transforming organisations.
- An investigation into the use of information technology as a tool for sustained competitive advantage.
- A high-level investigation and detailed review into best practices for the implementation of information technology in modern day organisations.
Electrical Engineering Dissertation Topics
Electrical engineering is focused on the design, development, testing, supervision and the manufacturing of electrical equipment. Electrical engineers design the electrical systems of automobiles, aircrafts, power generation equipment, communications systems, radar and navigational systems. The design and development of these electrical components are key and central to modern day life. There are several topics within this area that you could research for your electrical engineering dissertation:
- Development of a system to study the efficiency of motors in order to reduce kWh usage
- Setting up of a control system to monitor the process usage of compressors.
- Develop a scheme to normalise compressor output to kWh.
- Research to investigate, develop and introduce schemes to ensure efficient energy consumption by electrical machines.
- Research to study transformer losses and reduce energy loss.
- Research to study metering techniques to control and improve efficiency.
- Research to introduce smart metering concepts to ensure efficient use of electricity.
- Integration of smart metering pulsed outputs with wireless area networks and access real-time data.
- Developing effective strategies and methodical systems for pay as you go charging for electric vehicles
- A detailed review and investigation into the key issues and challenges facing rechargeable lithium batteries
- Trends and challenges in electric vehicles technologies
- Smart charging of electric vehicles on the motorway
Civil Engineering Dissertation Topics
The main emphasis of civil engineering in recent times is focused on sustainable development of quality, durable structures that deliver value for money, maximise the benefits from innovation and meets the specifications of the end users. Construction of sustainable houses has been a top priority within civil engineering. The following research topics are being actively undertaken and may be a good area for you to base your research on your own engineering dissertation:
- Development of sustainable homes making use of renewable energy sources.
- The use of sustainable materials for construction: design and delivery methods.
- The role of environmental assessment tools in sustainable construction
- The use of warm mix asphalt in road construction
- Research to study properties of concrete to achieve sustainability.
- Development of waste reduction strategy to achieve sustainable concepts
- High-level review of the barriers and drivers for sustainable buildings in developing countries
- Research to study the impact of sustainability concepts on organisational growth and development.
- Sustainable technologies for the building construction industry
- Building Information Modelling in the construction industry
- Research regarding micromechanics of granular materials.
- Research to study and develop water treatment processes.
- Research to set up remote sensing applications to assist in the development of sustainable construction techniques.
- High-level strategies, best practice guidelines and methodologies for sustainable construction.
- State of the art practice for recycling in the construction industry.
- Key factors and risk factors associated with the construction of high rise buildings.
- An investigation into health and safety in the construction industry.
Management Related Engineering Dissertation Topics
Engineering management is the application of the practice of management to the practice of engineering. Engineering management integrates problem-solving, engineering, technological developments and advancements in organizational structure, administrative, and planning abilities of management in order to oversee the operational performance of complex engineering driven enterprises. These two topics go hand in hand and support each other quite well. It is important that both sides are well balanced. The following research topics could be useful for your engineering dissertation:
- Steps to conduct management of change to ensure smooth process improvement.
- Research to sustainably manage a project team.
- Research to study the management of engineering projects and various risks involved with them.
- Research to identify process improvement plans to support business strategies.
- Efficient supply chain management to ensure and develop key motivational skills within staff members.
- How leadership can help efficiency within a learning organisation.
- Developing an integrated approach to strategic management in organisations.
- Creating and sustaining competitive advantage in engineering organisations.
- Developing frameworks for sustainable assessments taking into account eco-engineering measures.
- The role of engineers in managing development in emerging countries.
Copyright © Ivory Research Co Ltd. All rights reserved. All forms of copying, distribution or reproduction are strictly prohibited and will be prosecuted to the Full Extent of Law.