Cybersecurity is an incredibly interesting topic area to complete your dissertation in, with it becoming increasingly prominent as technology is so heavily integrated into our daily lifestyles. Cybersecurity is always around us, from simple security systems that protect our mobile devices to complex strategies to secure personal data for big corporations. This helps to provide an array of different opportunities for completing an engaging and innovative cyber security dissertation. Some of the most important topic areas that exist within the field of cybersecurity include cybersecurity and cryptocurrencies, cybersecurity’s impact on business and economics, the role of cybersecurity in world affairs, cybersecurity and cybercrime, and how cybersecurity connects with big data and the Internet of Things (IoT).
Cryptocurrencies are very much the trendy topic in the world of cyber right now, with there being numerous studies exploring various aspects of cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology. However, few of these aims to contextualise the link between these technologies and cybersecurity, both for how blockchain technology can enhance cybersecurity, and what cybersecurity strategies can be used to protect cryptocurrencies. The following topic titles provide engaging research reviews into these key areas.
- A historical overview on the development of cyber security to enhance cryptographic security of blockchain technologies.
- A critical analysis of cyber-attacks and cryptocurrencies.
- How can blockchain applications be used to support cyber security strategies to reduce the global threat of cybercrime?
- How can cryptocurrencies be regulated in the European Union: What is the mediating role of cyber security?
- Can blockchain technologies be used to front the new domain of cyber forensics?
- An analysis of the future of cryptocurrencies and the mediating influence this may have on the state of cyber security strategies.
Business & Economics
Organisations are having to invest more and more of their financial resources into cybersecurity to protect both their systems and their customers’ data. This lends itself to many new study areas that aim to explore how cybersecurity can be managed in the organisational setting, and what the potential return on investment for these strategies is.
- An analysis of the mediating role of risk management on the implementation of a comprehensive cybersecurity strategy.
- The use of Virtual Private Networks to enable remote working: A review of critical cyber security implications for developing successful VPN systems.
- A critical analysis of the role of cybersecurity throughout the supply chain for enhancing supply chain performance and collaboration.
- What cyber security measures can Small and Medium Sized Enterprises use to enhance their data protection protocols and build customer confidence?
- A review of effective cyber security strategies for mitigating cybercrime risk to business operations and continuity.
- What costing and investment models can be applied to effectively analyse whether the implementation of cyber security measures provides a positive return on investment?
It is evident that cybersecurity forms a significant role in day-to-day lives, with this instantly highlighting the significance of it in world affairs. From managing Covid-19 vaccination plans to GDPR, it is vital to understand the mechanisms in which cybersecurity is used to supplement ongoing world affairs and global projects.
- The impact of Covid-19 on cybersecurity in an organisational context due to increased levels of remote working.
- How should global legislation be created to help improve cybersecurity and reduce growing levels of cybercrime across the developed world?
- Have the recently enacted General Data Protection Regulations had a significant improvement on the protection of personal data and helped to reduce cybercrime or identity theft?
- Cyber security in the developing world: A critical analysis of opportunities and current barriers to implementation.
- How can cyber security be used to enhance data protection through vaccination distribution programs to tackle the spread of Covid-19?
- Cyber security and International Relations: How do the USA, China, and Russia manage cyber security when interacting with one another?
One of the most commonly aligned topics with cybersecurity is cybercrime, with this becoming an even greater threat as more people work from home and live their lives through technology. However, just as technology evolves so does the nature of cybercrime, with this always presenting the opportunity to research new and innovative ways in which cybercrime can be halted with innovative cyber security strategies.
- The influence of cybersecurity of the elimination of cybercrimes: A case study of the Equifax cyber-attack.
- A historical review of cybercrimes between 1980 and 2020: A critical analysis on the evolution of cybercrime and what future threats may be.
- Novice strategies to protect against cybercrime: An analysis of how cybersecurity can be used by low-level knowledge computer users.
- The influence of cyber forensics in combating cybercrime and as a fundamental strategy within the scope of a cybersecurity system.
- What are the positive and negative impacts on the use of simulated phishing scams to build awareness of corporate cybercrime?
- New methods of cybercrime: How can cybersecurity strategies be used to protect mobile devices from the threat of cybercrime?
Big Data & IOT
Finally, big data and IoT form an imperative role in both organisational and social lives, with cybersecurity being fundamental to protect these systems. As both of these concepts are relatively new, there is a broad scope to potentially evaluate and conduct a research study on.
- Determining effective cybersecurity strategies to support an integrated IoT system.
- How to utilise cybersecurity when managing big data: A critical analysis of the use of detection algorithms.
- An analysis of the mediating role of artificial intelligence in the development of comprehensive and autonomous cybersecurity systems.
- What is the influence of machine learning on the creation of effective cybersecurity systems: A critical analysis of the banking industry?
- A critical evaluation of the importance of integrating cyber security systems into big data analytics.
- An evaluation on the use of cyber security across multiple Internet of Things devices: What are best practice techniques?