Dissertations mainly are complete description and a thorough summarisation of detailed research work undertaken. It is expected that dissertations should deliver some new concepts or must at least lead to further new research and development. The core area of a dissertation consists of an idea upon which research is conducted and the idea is developed to deliver a strong concept. A dissertation must be focused, concise and must address the research topics at every level. Also, along with research, a dissertation is expected to present complete evidence of research work in the form of research methods. Sometimes it’s hard to even know where to start. This article suggests topics for your engineering dissertation, in the areas of electronics, sensors technology, environmental engineering, supply chain engineering, computer science engineering, electrical engineering and civil engineering, so that you can start your research.
1.0 Electronics and Communications
Optical communications engineering has been a growing field and most communications are carried out using optical fibres. Yet, there are many areas that can be still explored. Some are suggested below as possible topics for your engineering dissertation.
- Improvement of inter-symbol interference in optical communications
- Study the various forms of errors and the development of an equalisation technique to reduce the error rates in data.
- Gaussian pulse analysis and the improvement of this pulse to reduce errors
- How can RFID help in the improvement of supply chain?
- Radiation effects and soft errors in integrated circuits and electronic devices
- Design of high speed communication circuits that effectively cut down noise.
- Spectral sensing research for water monitoring applications and frontier science and technology for chemical, biological and radiological defence.
- Nano-structured membranes for preparative purifications of biopharmaceuticals.
2.0 Sensors Technology
Development of micro sensors has been under development for many years now and new sensors are being manufactured. Possibilities to base your engineering dissertation on include:
- Development of micro sensors to measure oil flow rate in tanks.
- Development and implementation of micro sensors to study pressure of the blood stream
- Design and development of micro sensors to measure the intensity of light
- Development of sensors to measure heat generated from solar panels.
- Research and computational simulation of a natural olfactory biosensor.
- Development of glucose biosensors using nanotechnology.
3.0 Environmental Engineering
Over the past few years many countries have been undertaking projects supporting the environment and aiming to reduce carbon emissions. The following engineering dissertation topics may be of interest for researchers:
- Design and development of a system for measuring the carbon index of an energy intensive company.
- Process improvement techniques to identify and remove waste in an automotive industry.
- Process mapping techniques to identify bottle necks for supply chain industry.
- Study of compressor operations on a forging site and mapping operations to identify and remove energy waste.
- Improving processes to reduce kWh usage and reduce inefficiencies.
- Design of carbon measurement benchmarks.
- In the forging industry how can changing burners within furnaces help organisations achieve energy efficiency?
- How can gas consumption be reduced and efficiency introduced to reduce kWh usage?
- How can voltage reduction devices help organisations achieve efficiency in electricity usage?
- What are carbon credits and how can organisations generate them?
- There are some organisations that use water excessively, with bills totalling more than £25,000. Identify the main reasons for the water usage and investigate better ways to introduce water efficiency and create savings.
- Identify the ways by which efficient control system using information systems can be introduced to study the energy usage in a machining factory.
- Project to set up ways to measure natural gas flow ultrasonically and identify waste areas.
- How can water conductivity probes help determine water quality and how can water be reused?
4.0 Supply Chain Engineering
Supply chain plays an important role in the manufacturing business sector. It is important that supply chain is well supported by efficient methods and processes. Your engineering dissertation could discuss:
- How can organisations achieve success by reducing bottlenecks in supply chain?
- Just in time, is it really valid? Measurement of losses within Just in Time process implementation.
- How can process efficiency be introduced to reduce waste within the manufacturing process?
- Supplier relationship is an important factor for the success of Just in Time. How can organisations ensure successful transactions?
- Research to identify efficient logistics operations within a supply chain.
- Research to introduce efficiency within information systems and support timely transfer of knowledge and information.
- How are the concepts of globalisation and supply chain supporting each other?
- Research studying the impact of culture on supply chain industries. Identification of factors that generate inefficiencies with the supply chain.
- How can organisations introduce schemes to identify problems with in supply chain engineering?
5.0 Supply Chain Management
Supply chain management mainly involves the management of supply chain to ensure there is efficiency throughout. Supply chain management is important for businesses to ensure there is minimal wastage. Within supply chain management the concepts of learning organisation plays an important role. Here are some topics on Supply Chain Management that may be useful for your engineering dissertation.
- Research into development of dynamic staff to determine and rectify supply chain problems.
- Importance of introducing efficiency with training schemes. Research to emphasise training schemes.
- Research to develop a learning organisation and its impact on supply chain management.
- Research to measure and develop intellectual capital within supply chain industry.
- Research to measure the intellectual capital and study the growth with the development of learning organisation in the supply chain
- Research study to create measurements to study the impact of learning organisation on performance measurement in supply chain industry
- Impact of training on knowledge performance index within supply chain industry.
- Behaviour of Carbon index with the implementation of a learning organisation.
6.0 Computer Science Engineering
Information systems play a major role in computer science engineering and provide a major support to organisations. Management of information systems is a key issue for organisations and growth and development of information systems is a major task. However, there are many research areas that need to be undertaken. The following could be useful for an engineering dissertation as well as a computing dissertation.
- Information systems help organisations maintain information. How can organisations need to ensure that the information systems are effectively used to maintain efficiency of processes?
- How can learning organisations influence the development of information systems?
- Information systems definitely assist in maintaining information, but how can these systems ensure that they are maintained sustainable?
- Research to identify and reduce e-waste.
- Research to develop e-waste systems.
- Development of measurement systems to measure e-waste.
7.0 Electrical Engineering
Design and development of electronic circuits plays a very important role in assisting organisations to achieve success. It is important that high energy circuits are used at a minimal rate to achieve success. There are several topics within this area that you could research for your Engineering Dissertation.
- Development of a system to study the motors efficiency and reduce kWh usage
- Setting up of a control system to monitor process usage of compressors.
- Develop a scheme to normalise compressor output to kWh.
- Research to develop and introduce schemes to ensure that energy consumption is efficiently used by electrical machines.
- Research to study transformer losses and to reduce energy loss.
- Research to study metering techniques to control efficiency.
- Research to introduce smart metering concepts to ensure efficient usage of electricity.
- Integration of smart metering pulsed outputs with wireless area networks and access real time data.
8.0 Civil Engineering
The main emphasis of civil engineering currently is the development of a sustainable society. Construction of sustainable houses has been a top priority within civil engineering. The following research topics are being actively undertaken, and may be a good area for you to base your research for your own engineering dissertation.
- Development of sustainable homes with the help of renewable energy sources.
- Sustainability and its impact on learning organisation.
- Research to measure the impact of sustainability on processes within an organisation.
- Research to study the relationship between lean manufacturing and sustainable manufacturing.
- Research to study properties of concrete to achieve sustainability.
- Development of waste reduction strategy to achieve sustainable concepts
- Research to ensure sustainable heat conservation generated from compressors within a manufacturing site.
- Research to study the impact of sustainability concepts on organisational growth and development.
- Research to study the relationship between sustainability and learning organisation.
- Research to transform a manufacturing plant to a sustainable enterprise.
- Research regarding micromechanics of granular materials.
- Research to study and develop water treatment processes.
- Research to set up remote sensing applications to assist in the development of sustainable enterprise.
9.0 Management and Engineering Related
These two topics go hand in hand and support each other quite well. It is important that both sides are well balanced. The following research topics could be useful for your engineering dissertation.
- Steps to conduct management of change to ensure smooth process improvement.
- Research to sustainably manage a project team.
- Research to study the management of engineering projects and various risks involved with them.
- Research to identify process improvement plans to support business strategies.
- Efficient supply chain management to ensure and develop key motivational skills within staff members.
- How leadership can help efficiency with in a learning organisation.
Copyright © Insta Research Ltd. All rights reserved. All forms of copying, distribution or reproduction are strictly prohibited and will be prosecuted to the Full Extent of Law.